Friday, October 16, 2009

First Post

so yesterday the temperature dipped to -2 (C) here in southern Quebec. I went for my 8K run. Barefoot.
I have been running barefoot since August. I did the "Born to Run"- Barefoot Ted -
Barefoot Ken Bob - journey, got really pumped and haven't looked back. At the beginning, lots of blisters until I figured out that you have to really lift your knees. Now I can run 15K without any discomfort. Really, its not such a big deal.
So running barefoot in the cold? Yeah, we are now past the middle of October and its getting cold. All you barefoot runners want to put your newfound sport on hold 'til the Spring. No way!
Yesterday when I ran the surface temperature of the asphalt was -2C or 29F. So how did it go? Pretty well. For the first kilometer or so, I was tense, and cold (I was dressed in a T shirt and nylon windbreaker, and thin full length leggings). After that, I warmed up and was able to relax. By the end of the second kilometer I was sweating, and from then on things were perfect, meaning I was relaxed, stride and cadence in a groove, just enjoying the run. You know things are going well when you actually stop thinking about the running, the technique, your body, and your mind is somewhere else.
And the feet? how about the feet? Well, pretty much as you would expect: At the beginning they were cold, but by the second or third kilometer no more cold. Very similar to bare hands when running (or cross-country skiing) in the cold. At the beginning you want gloves, but once you start sweating, off come the gloves. As for the soles: same. They really weren't cold. There was absolutely no sensation of discomfort, tingling, burning, numbness. Why? because they weren't cold. I know what cold feet feels like. I live in Canada, we all freeze our feet outside in the winter, skiing, skating, etc.
Now the question is: Just how cold before you can't run barefoot anymore?


all comments welcome








No comments: